Saturday, October 23, 2010

Southgate Family Restaurant, Bath, Maine

I love the little town of Bath in Maine, and fortunately for me I get to visit about twice a year! There are some wonderful shops, including Renys and April 56—I never know what I'm going to find. This year I found a gorgeous door mat made from reclaimed fishing rope. Maine lobstermen are turning in their floating lines for sinking lines, so selling off the old rope is offsetting the cost for all the time and effort it takes to do that. As you can imagine these mats are very durable, waterproof and very colorful! 
My favorite place to eat in Bath is the Southgate Restaurant, opposite Bath Iron Works, a major shipyard which was founded in 1884. Southgate Family Restaurant is very clean and bright, and hugely popular with the locals. The atmosphere is very buzzy and friendly with a lovely whiff of coffee in the air. The portions are generous, and they make delicious chowders and home-made fruit pies.
Southgate Family Restaurant,
510 Washington StBathME 04530-1819
(207) 442-8185

No comments: